The Career Builder's Podcast
Why Unhappiness at Work is a Bigger Deal Than You Think
Try as you might, it can be hard to keep a lid on the unhappy feelings you may feel about your life at work.
- Work is a big part of your week and if you're unhappy it can cut your weekend short
- Work is part of our identity, impacts mental health
- Motivation impacts performance at work
- Enthusiasm is contagious, negativity is also contagious
- You don't have to be unhappy
- Steps to career change - self discovery, understand your non-negotiables, understand your own story, Working through fear,
- You don't realize how bad it is until you get past it, the mountain is blocking your view
- Ask yourself: Am I making home an uncomfortable place?
- Understand your priorities and your values to keep balance
- It's really tough to make a change, but you're the only one that can do it
- If you don't change, you're choosing unhappiness
- Action is the cure
- Carve out a small amount of time per week for activities like resume building, networking, self-discovery
- Action creates momentum and increases your energy
- Tal Ben Shahar - Happiness is like a sore thumb - http://www.talbenshahar.com/
- Shift mindset from problem to solution: "how can I fix this?"
- Change your thoughts change your feelings
- Create some new stories to drive yourself forward
- Everyone has a unique gift - holding back from the world when you don't make a change
- Shannon Graham - "some people have gifts, and some people are gifts" - http://www.shannongraham.com/
- Most journeys are hard at the beginning, messy in the middle, easier at the